AGLS Conference 2021
Registration for the 2021 Australian Government Legal Service (AGLS) Conference is open. Given the ongoing impact of the pandemic, the Conference will be delivered entirely online on Thursday 14 October 2021.
DNA of a Government Lawyer
The Conference theme, DNA of a Government Lawyer, highlights the strong bond between technical legal expertise and people skills in modern legal practice – being the two separate but interlinked skill sets that are essential for government lawyers.
The Conference will explore the features and qualities essential to the practice of every government lawyer, and aims to provide attendees with exposure to cutting edge legal expertise and insight into important fields such as emotional intelligence and resilience.
Whilst the conference, is primarily aimed at government lawyers, all Commonwealth employees with an interest in legal matters are welcome to attend the conference.
- The Master of Ceremonies is Ellen Fanning, award-winning current affairs journalist, and host of ABC TV program, The Drum.
- Key Speakers include the Hon. J L B Allsop AO, Chief Justice, the Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG, Jane Needham SC and Abby Reis, Director, PunkPD.
- Panel session featuring Katherine Jones PSM, Secretary, Attorney-General's Department; Michael Kingston, Australian Government Solicitor, AGS; Alice Linacre, Chief Counsel, Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment; and Kathryn Haigh, Chief Counsel, Services Australia.
- Other government lawyer speakers include Nikki Bensch, General Counsel, Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity and Stephen Bouwhuis, General Counsel, Department of Health.
- Attendees will be able to access up to six Continuing Professional Development points in all four core areas.
Check out the full program here.
Register Now and Save (Discount available for group registration for limited time)
Individual tickets are only $230 (inc GST). A 10% discount will be applied for 10 or more tickets purchased* from the same organisation, bringing the ticket price down to $207 (inc GST) pp for a group registration. This offer ends on Friday, 1 October 2021.
*You must complete the online registration for each attendee when you purchase the tickets. You will need the following information for each attendee: title, first and last name, organisation, position, email address, mobile number and address. You will also need each attendee’s consent to register them, and to confirm whether each attendee provides data processing consent (further information on this follows), and agrees to their name being included on the delegate list.
- The AGLS Conference will be held on Thursday, 14 October 2021, from 9:00am‑5:00pm.
- The event will be delivered via the EventsAir platform, and registered attendees will be provided an individual link to access the event via an IP address (similar to any web site people would access). It does not require any downloads or installation of apps to a PC.
- There will be an opportunity to test accessibility of the platform and a link will be sent to attendees prior to the event. The Conference Manager will work with attendees to resolve any issues that arise, and if necessary attendees can log in from a personal device if an organisations IT security does not permit access.
- The sessions will be recorded and accessible to attendees for two weeks following the Conference.
- The program includes opportunities to connect, chat and meet online with other attendees, and for attendees to ask questions of speakers during interactive Q&As at the end of each session.
We look forward to welcoming you online!