AGLS Strategic Plan
AGLS vision statement
The AGLS is a professional network of government lawyers:
- enabling its members to be the best government lawyers they can be, and
- supporting consistent legal services and the management of legal risk across the Commonwealth.
The AGLS board facilitates the vision of the AGLS, supported by the AGLS committees, through a focus on information sharing, collaboration, guidance and training.
The strategic plan sets out the purpose and activities for the AGLS across 3 streams: governance, engagement and professional development.
The AGLS board will develop the AGLS structure and policies by:
- conducting an annual review of governance arrangements
- conducting an annual review of board (and committee) performance
- ensuring committee structure and resourcing remains fit for purpose.
The AGLS will facilitate engagement between senior lawyers on whole-of-government legal issues and build a community of leaders of the government lawyer profession. This will be achieved by:
- enlisting agency heads and all heads of legal in support of the AGLS
- maximising AGLS conference engagement opportunities
- continuing to develop the Australian Government Legal Advice Database.
The AGLS will promote awareness of whole-of-government legal issues or initiatives by:
- creating awareness of the work of the AGLS for whole-of-government legal issues
- using the Legal Risk Committee effectively to create awareness.
The work of the AGLS will connect and share information with government lawyers working across Australia in corporate and non-corporate Commonwealth entities by:
- continuing to support the development of the Australian Government Legal Advice Database
- facilitating opportunities for formal and informal networking.
The AGLS will promote broad participation and involvement in its activities through:
- updating the communication and stakeholder engagement plan
- identifying national champions to encourage participation across the Commonwealth
- embedding national engagement as a priority part of all strategies.
The AGLS will support a culture of coordinated delivery of legal services and the consistent management of legal risk by:
- deploying the heads of legal induction package.
The AGLS will establish a professional model for government lawyers, including professional standards, government legal practices and training modules by:
- developing a coordinated program for continuing professional development
- providing formal training opportunities.